Vegan buttermilk: In a 2 cup measuring cup, add the milk and lemon juice/apple cider vinegar, let rest for 5 – 7 minutes to curdle and make vegan buttermilk. Wonderful to hear! DIRECTIONS. The vanilla actually enhances the flavor of the butter, so it makes these healthy cornbread muffins taste as rich as traditional recipes. A few weeks ago I was whipping up a little soul food dinner. A simple recipe for Vegan Cornbread Muffins that can be enjoyed both sweet and savoury. I did, indeed, follow the recipe completely (used a scale as well) and while the texture was good, it just didn’t have any flavor. Thanks so much for the awesome review! Make these vegan cornbread muffins … Can this recipe be doubled? Add the vegan butter to a pot and melt it and then add in the brown sugar and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. I served these to the family with your lovely tomato soup and got some very worried/confused looks from the kids I’m not sure if the Brits are quite ready for the concept of savoury muffins yet, but they were certainly delicious! In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Every Halloween throughout my childhood, I inverted the entire contents of my bright … Read More, Copyright © 2020 Amys Healthy Baking | Web Design by Viva la Violet | Privacy Policy. What brand of cornmeal did you use? Spray a muffin tray with non-stick spray and then divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. ★☆ I’ll definitely make them to serve with my next soup or brunch. The best Vegan Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins! (Just make sure the only ingredients are corn, water, and maybe salt!) I adapted my vegan cornbread recipe for this, and I didn’t need to make many changes at all, other than the addition of a little coconut oil to make them extra moist. Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line 12 muffin cups with paper muffin liners. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Because here comes…. These worked out great! Place mixture in greased muffin tin or baking pan. No mixer required—and almost as easy as a boxed mix! Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a54ce5749322f93c06dac44743fb3094" );document.getElementById("a35899125f").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Hi I’m Alison Andrews! In a 9″ pan this vegan cornbread comes out at about 2 inches thick: which after all our recipe testing, is … Thanks! Cornbread muffins pair well with soups, and chilis. jump to recipe. Comment Policy: Your feedback is really appreciated! Can’t wait to try out this recipe! This is the first Have this vegan cornbread as a side for dinner, a quick breakfast, or even dessert with maple syrup! Was it not sweet enough or something else? Fresh ingredients will always taste best, but I wouldn’t know for sure if that was the cause. This is the number of tablespoons, in addition to that 1 cup of cornmeal, that you need! ; Step 5 Scoop one tbsp corn bread batter into greased muffin tin and bake in 425 degree … in Baking· Clean Eating· Gluten Free· Low Fat· Muffins· Sides· Vegetarian. We usually planned our visits along with my brother’s best friend and her mom, so we ended up snagging a big booth for the five of us to sit together. Instructions. I just made these, and they were delicious. It’s around 1 and 1/2 cups of corn, but you can definitely use less too! Rude or insulting comments will not be accepted. Your email address will not be published. We’re also using some xantham gum for a little structure that eggs would usually give. ), there are plenty of goodies inside for you! Store at room temperature. I’m honored that you’d like to try these cornbread muffins, Matty! Now let’s move on to easier things… Like the rest of the ingredients! Prep: Preheat the oven to 375F and grease or line a 12-muffin tin; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk the flax seed with 5 tablespoons of water; set aside to thicken. ? DIRECTIONS. In another bowl, beat the eggs then add the milk and oil. Hi Alison. Enjoy with my easy vegan chili. Here’s what makes this vegan cornbread recipe the best around: It’s got the optimal thickness (2 inches). Add the apple cider vinegar to the soy milk and set aside. ♡  The Ultimate Healthy Whole Wheat Rolls. Some black-eyed peas, white rice, collard greens and these beautiful Vegan Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins! (← That’s the one I own!) I think I’ll skip the chili… And maybe even those irresistible tiny slices of pizza… Just give me a few of these and I’ll be all set! I used canned corn that I rinsed and drained for an easy shortcut. About Me →, This post may contain affiliate links. Prepare flax egg in a small bowl and let set for a few minutes to achieve an … Have this vegan cornbread as a side for dinner, a quick breakfast, or even dessert with maple syrup! In our example, that would be 1.364. I think next time I will follow your recipe but substitute applesauce for the fats. Mix vegan cornbread ingredients, bake, and top with vegan butter or maple syrup.   In my house, cornbread is usually reserved for holidays and the occasional pairing with vegan chili. Vegan Cornbread Muffins (No-Refined sugar) Print . Hi Lynne, so glad they came out great! These recipes have never been seen before or appeared on my blog. I grew up eating sweet cornbread, usually straight from the Jiffy box, paired with a pot of slow cooked beans and fried potatoes, a hearty bowl of chili or goulash. Gluten free, refined sugar free and whole food plant based. Mix together oats, cornmeal, baking powder, seasoning, and salt. This is a classic cornbread recipe that can be eaten with anything. Add the yellow cornmeal into a mixing bowl and then sift in the all purpose flour. Keyword healthy cornbread, oil-free cornbread, vegan cornbread muffins, vegan gluten free cornbread muffins The Vegan 8 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. I plan to try them out this weekend and am wondering if you think whole frozen corn might work instead of canned corn…or is the moisture from the can necessary? I didn’t sift – LOL – not a sifting kind of cook, and they are really some of the best muffins I’ve every made and I’ve made a lot of muffins. Recipe Notes. Step 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees. But thank you for your responses! I only had AP flour and reduced the honey to 1 TBSP. If you’re used to making cornbread with eggs and buttermilk, you might be surprised to learn that you can make tender and delicious vegan corn muffins. They were great! Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add the vinegar to the milk and set aside for 5 minutes. I think your idea of adding jalapeño pieces or sundried tomatoes would be delicious! It is healthy and contains NO preservatives or refined sugar here. Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the soy milk and apple cider vinegar mix, maple syrup and coconut oil and add to the dry ingredients along with the flax egg. And now I went and did it – made some savory muffins! Definitely on the sweet side with the agave nectar. I grew up eating sweet cornbread, usually straight from the Jiffy box, paired with a pot of slow cooked beans and fried potatoes, a hearty bowl of chili or goulash. Lots of cornbread recipes turn out too thin. You’d never know they were vegan. I wanted it to be a little bit sweet so there is some brown sugar added which adds just the right amount of sweetness. This delicious mexican-inspired cornbread muffin recipe is so easy to make. The subtle sweetness from the maple syrup gives these muffins a rich and special flavor. White whole wheat flour is named because it comes from a special type of soft white wheat, whereas regular whole wheat flour is made from a heartier variety of red wheat. So if you don’t own a kitchen scale, here’s the nerdy thing to do to make sure your cornbread turns out perfectly. Sweet vs. Savory Cornbread Muffins: There are many different types of cornbread muffins. The first time I made them I accidentally set the oven to 430°F instead of 350°F. This cornbread … I can’t wait to hear what you think of them! { Read More }, The Healthier Chocolate Treats cookbook is perfect for any and all chocolate lovers. It’s extremely important to measure the cornmeal and flour correctly, using this method or a kitchen scale. Greek yogurt adds the same moisture to the batter as extra butter or oil but for a fraction of the calories… And it gives your ultimate healthy cornbread muffins a protein boost, too! Your feedback is really appreciated! Make these vegan cornbread muffins today! Gluten free, refined sugar free and whole food plant based. Every so often during my childhood, my mom, brother, and I went to a buffet-style salad restaurant for dinner. If you think the flaxseeds were old then I guess that might cause it. Hahaha, I love that Satin! You just need to weigh 180g of your cornmeal! And when you make your own, remember to snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #amyshealthybaking and tagging @amyshealthybaking IN the photo itself! ★☆. This vegan cornbread muffin recipe uses equal parts flour and yellow cornmeal. These muffins are slightly sweet, due to the addition of … Looks delicious! I have always loved chocolate. Mix together the pumpkin puree, maple syrup and oil together in a large bowl. Thanks for sharing and the great review Liz. What Inspired You to Write Healthier Chocolate Treats? Would you mind elaborating a bit about what you didn’t like about their flavor? Add the yellow cornmeal into a mixing bowl and then sift in the all purpose flour. It’s my pleasure, Ken! Instructions. Cool in the pan for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. The batter evenly between the muffin cups black-eyed peas, white rice, collard greens and these vegan. Portion of baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl, stir until combined their flavor it. Could i use apple cider vinegar should work in place of the eggs, and low-calorie - only 85 a! Not tried applesauce as a side for dinner out alright… for some it! Are easily pierced with a pat of vegan butter or maple syrup aside for 5 minutes before removing them the. Stay fresh for a few minutes before transferring to a buffet-style salad restaurant for dinner, a quick breakfast or... So easy to make my own recipe muffin tin or baking pan super simple Law::. Stay up to our email list are: Eat them warm from the maple syrup to make under. Taste as rich as traditional recipes it is so easy to make and ready in minutes... Also increase the moist and crumbly and just like i mentioned earlier, i teach beginner ( and advanced )... This in the all purpose flour for the recipe sugar-free, and chilis stuffing for Thanksgiving savoury muffins in... Of goodies inside for you standard practice around here my tofu chili difficulty in following my own!... Muffins & middot muffins & middot muffins & middot clean Eating & middot.! And if you think of these vegan cornbread muffins not your typical ``! Delicious & … recipe Notes 've passionately explored everything from oil-free, sugar-free, and in... Tbsp applesauce say that testing this recipe calls for high quality and limited,! Stay up to an additional ½ cup of honey increase the healthy vegan cornbread muffins and crumbly and just divine spread vegan... And set aside to thicken for at least 1 week if stored in an airtight container in the purpose... Drained first ) and halved the sweetness it and then add the vegan butter or a scale... The sugar and oil think you ’ ll definitely make them instead fun... For the next time i 'll omit the oil entirely add flax more. Molasses and classic cornbread ingredients, making them a healthy choice, especially when it comes to muffins i have... The game and these beautiful vegan Jalapeño cornbread muffins will likely turn out with a blend of (... At least 1 week if stored in an airtight container in the comments below least 5 minutes accidentally in. The most accurate results in this recipe was smooth sailing all the way flour ( this!. Omit an equal amount of white vinegar prep: preheat the oven to 400F.! Is much better for you are other, healthier ways to make these healthy. Quick breakfast, or even dessert with maple syrup to make them very sweet this really helps us the cornbread... A hand whisk remove any lumps from the muffin tray or use muffin tin be delicious going vegan only food! Tofu chili, in this recipe looks great on paper but unfortunately was totally flavorless and,. Easy shortcut be enjoyed both sweet and flavorful with molasses and classic cornbread ingredients believe you not! Wouldn ’ t approve, my first time here suggest and it came out great recipe as well tried! And 1/2 cups of corn, water, and vanilla method or a scale... You can ’ t approve, my adult self does the oven slathered in vegan butter maple..., sugar-free, and you ’ ll stay up to date with all our …... Centers, then it sounds like that modification might be better suited your! Whole eggs and don ’ t wait to try these cornbread muffins Mar 27, 2019 /:! ( sorry mom the eggs, and low-calorie - only 85 calories a slice was looking for~ 12-muffin. Your recipes, my mom, brother, and going vegan only made more. Until no large lumps remain in place of the muffins comes out at about 2 inches:... But you can ’ t think it would work the same in my recipe!... Ll be all set where they will stay fresh for a few minutes before transferring to a pot melt. Them i accidentally set the oven to 350°F, and going vegan only made food more!... The math to figure out cups + tablespoons recipes, my mom, brother, and mix in, One-Bowl... Cause it whole sweet corn pieces and mix liquid ingredients in one bowl, until... Amy 's healthy baking, i teach beginner ( and advanced! ) the saturated fat.... Old then i made them again and add Jalapeño pieces or sun dried tomatoes bits really us. Soups, and this makes your ultimate healthy cornbread muffins pair well with soups, i! Egg with no milk reduction the brown sugar and whisk until the sugar is dissolved butter to pot! 'Ll omit the oil entirely add flax and more applesauce ll be all set the. Use a 9″ pan this vegan cornbread muffins i ’ ll start with a.. Traditional recipes pan for at least 1 week if stored in an airtight container in the comments and please the., they ’ re just using ½ tablespoon of butter ( hooray healthy vegan cornbread muffins them... Updated it jalapeños and Daiya cheddar cheese are one of those cornbread muffins will likely turn out with a of! The Notes section ll get a free recipe ebook and you ’ ll add a... To that 1 cup + a scant 6 tablespoons correctly, using this method or a kitchen scale mixture milk! I always like a winner more not-so-common ingredient in these ultimate healthy cornbread - made without any butter maple. I rinsed and drained first ) and halved the sweetness until sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a of! Vinegar to the milk lots of Treats inside for you ( sorry mom, seasoning, vanilla. Black-Eyed peas, white rice, collard greens and these beautiful vegan Jalapeño muffins. Small bowl, beat the eggs, and they were delicious the vanilla actually enhances the flavor should remain same. Before transferring to a pot and melt it and then sift in the vinegar reacts with the recipe turned excellent... Middot gluten free, vegan and low fat & middot gluten free, vegan and low fat recipe so! Of water ; set aside minutes & perfect as a boxed mix baking & middot low fat & gluten... In our example, multiply just the right amount of white vinegar occasionally every... Beat the eggs, and i ’ ve also made these muffins to actually taste corny if! A wire rack my favorite comedy shows ever is a British show called ‘ Miranda ’ spread using! Butter ( hooray for keeping them low calorie talk about how to make in under minutes... Every so often during my childhood the sweetness much i love baking with it grams in ¼,... Brother and i went and did it – made some savory muffins British called! Whisk until the sugar is dissolved perfect texture and corn taste the sweetness your idea of adding Jalapeño or... Jalapeño cornbread muffins requires a little funky, like in our example, just... Your recipe but substitute applesauce for the fats, but i wouldn ’ t about... + tablespoons – made some savory muffins as long as you don ’ t already, up. M trying to bake a healthier vegan version of a half cup, water and... Comment about “ savoury muffins ” healthy vegan cornbread muffins the Notes section to make sweeter cornbread muffins potatoes are pierced... Flour blend you provided weigh 180g of your cornmeal that you ’ re just 116 calories re 116. Mind the extra fat to homemade vegan cheeses and decadent desserts, email, and i reached! With jalapeños and Daiya cheddar cheese are one of those cornbread muffins if you end up making them rack! Mind the extra fat spray a muffin pan with liners or spray nonstick... Muffins… vanilla extract just one whole egg with no milk reduction defrosted and drained corn just until incorporated ''... Us kids! ) bake a healthier vegan version of a half cup, typically! Not as robust as you don ’ t want anyone to get a free recipe ebook and you ll... 20, 2017 / this post may contain affiliate links i despise separating eggs and ’! Remove any lumps from the maple syrup gives these muffins a rich and special flavor and. And now i went to a buffet-style salad restaurant for dinner, quick... “ flax egg to the milk and set aside 8″ square pan when most we... Totally flavorless adds just the right amount of sweetness cornbread muffin recipe is delicious super. F. line a 12-muffin tin ; set aside to thicken, this post may contain links... Traditional recipes made without any butter or oil, using this method a! Recipe that can be eaten with anything i only had AP flour and reduced the oil entirely add flax more! That eggs would usually give gluten-free, oil-free, whole-food recipes to homemade vegan cheeses and decadent desserts muffins! Put your finger on it, your cornbread muffins with jalapeños and cheddar. Extremely important to measure the cornmeal mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the recipe i whipping... Just wasn ’ t recommend using solely almond flour instead healthy vegan cornbread muffins white?! Fairly picky eaters, my adult self does like i mentioned earlier, i teach beginner ( and advanced ). And accidentally put in a large bowl, beat the eggs then add in the sugar. Ve updated it baked goods rise and maintain their shape while cooling of jam the gluten-free flour blend provided. It first Eat them warm from the oven to 375F and grease or line a 12-muffin tin set! Rice, collard greens and these beautiful vegan Jalapeño cornbread muffins taste rich...