The most popular drink these days is gin and beer. Here’s a report, for example, of a shop owner being harassed by Sabbatarians. 25 Best Things to Do in Scotland. If you have spent longer than 14 days in the CTA (or an exempt country or territory above) immediately before your arrival, you do not need to complete the form or self-isolate. But remember you don’t get to see rooms and interiors. Do not flee off the island though as the Sabbath approaches. Edinburgh city bypass clogs up, so does the M8 through Glasgow, Aberdeen is dreadful, though maybe improved by its bypass, Dundee is a pain… and so on. If you are planning the trip of your life to Scotland, then this list of things to do in Scotland … Yes, it’s the visitor’s favourite topic. Things to Do in Scotland, United Kingdom: See Tripadvisor's 1,263,077 traveler reviews and photos of Scotland tourist attractions. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 5. 3) Eilean Donan. The Scottish cuisine is the lifeblood of their culture. Or that some other Scottish city doesn’t do better. Trust me on this one. If you want that kind of stuff you should visit the Royal Yacht Britannia at Leith, if you really, really must. (Maybe not even Scotland at all – though they do make fine whisky there!) The habitat of the Highland midge. It’s always smart to do some researching on local etiquette before you go anywhere. There now, that list didn’t hurt a bit now, did it? If you travel Scotland … So what’s it doing on a ‘must avoid’ list? Your email address will not be published. Isle of Skye. Discover the best top things to do in Scotland including Edinburgh Castle, Skara Brae, Culzean Castle & Country Park. St Abbs and its seabirds. Cold winds and rainy days do not make a fun-filled holiday, but who needs to be outside when you can explore the maze of exhibits at The National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. There’s nothing to be frightened of – nothing to justify staying away, in fact. For one weekend in the year all that unspoilt, green, environmentally sensitive image goes out the window. Ah, wait, maybe I can delete the above now. Well, it’s being loved to death. St. Andrews: The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews. DON’T: (Only) visit Edinburgh Castle. Now I can’t do a post on the best places in Scotland and not include the Outer Hebrides. Here’s a report, for example, of a shop owner … Basically, Scotland is a nice place to visit. And Johanna says make a special mention of Fort William at rush hour. (Finding visitor attractions that are open and fuel for your vehicle may be an issue for example.). Source: Michal 11 / shutterstock Edinburgh Castle. 1) Edinburgh. … For example, some of the locals on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides worship a deity which, among other public misdemeanours, is apparently filled with cosmic wrath at the sight of washing drying on the washing line on a Sunday. Cruise Control: Key Things to Avoid While on the High Seas, How to Survive a Beach Holiday: What NOT To Do, Top 7 Things NOT to do in the UK: Customs and Etiquette Guide, 7 Things NOT to do in Rio de Janeiro Brazil. Oh, please, include Scotland’s highest mountain in pictures and views, certainly. Actually, Irish pubs are usually great – in Ireland.). That’s all. Kayaker near castle in Scotland (Shutterstock) Landing a boat on an uninhabited island and lighting a fire on the beach may sound like the stuff of dreams, but it’s perfectly possible in the … No more of that frilly, typical “things to do in Scotland… So, we got to make friends and relive our days of African safari with some gin & tonics. It’s crowded – jam-packed during the peak season, which seems to lengthen every year. But, hey, maybe, like the sugary empty calories offering of Scotland’s own ‘pepsi’ type drink, called Irn Bru, you could see this as an authentic Scottish experience. Or at least that’s what a local told us she uses if she finds herself having to dry washing on a Sunday. Top things to do on a rainy day in Scotland Usually a wet day on holiday means sheltering inside with not much to do. The guidance is obligatory in all secondary schools, special schools and grant-aided schools in Scotland, but pupils should not be excluded from school if they do not wish to wear one. 1. The last bastion of Sabbatarianism in Scotland contributes to the idiosyncrasy or charm of Stornoway in the Outer Hebrides. But you should be aware that Sunday closing still causes strong feeling. Skye has the steepest mountains, the spikiest skyline and the most romantic image of all of Scotland’s islands. There’s still stuff to see. NB List is not in any order: Don’t want to see the worst side of sectarianism and drink-fuelled rowdiness? You’ll find polyester tartan, cheap plastic toys, and a whole plethora of clichés. Sitting on headland beside the Loch Ness in the Highlands, the castle … But maybe you enjoy this kind of ambience – though there are plenty of other bits of Edinburgh for you to stroll around in a more relaxed way. The location can get pretty over-run at peak times. A combination of rolling mountains, valleys, and Atlantic winds make the West Highlands one of the wettest and windiest places in Europe–although hardy Scots like to refer to this weather as “atmospheric.” So as you can imagine, rain gear is a must when visiting this part of Scotland. Maybe it was tongue in cheek, though it’s more likely your tongue will be stuck to the roof of your mouth by the sugar if you try one. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. He/she/it is fine with tumble dryers though. Though Culicoides impugnatus makes it on to the must avoid list, it maybe sits better on a ‘can’t avoid’ list. Well, this one had to be in, didn’t it? I went to university there. You should never try to speak Scots (the language or accent or ‘dialect' of the region) to anyone you do not know well. It’s a fact of Highland touring. (I’m thinking here of, say, cheap souvenirs on Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, acrylic paintings of hairy coos and Irish-themed pubs. Not to mention, the cost of going to a lot of tourist attractions really add up. Castle Rock, Edinburgh: Edinburgh Castle. I compiled a list of 18 things to watch out for while you are traveling in Scotland … But you may want to avoid being carried along by the multinational tide that ebbs and flows at the top of the city’s Royal Mile around the time of performances of the Tattoo on the Castle Esplanade. A detailed list of the top tourist attractions in Scotland. Many Scots also swear by its amazing ability to cure a hangover, and somehow manage to overlook the fact it stains anything it touches bright orange, or that it contains enough sugar to rot the Loch Ness Monster’s fangs… Scotland’s heavily promoted northern rim road has enough users now, thank you. It’s not quite so spiky but still spectacular. A stay in the area is thoroughly recommended. The reactions will range from gentle ridicule, to be being patronised (in … However, (follow the links above) we do rate it as a must see, so we’d be a bit hypocritical to tell you not to visit now! Tons of advice on how to avoid midges right here on this site. INSTEAD: Take a walking tour. It is worth a look. Opinions veered between the staunchly traditional … Instead of hanging its head in shame, a fish and chip shop in the town of Stonehaven, near Aberdeen, is proud to claim it invented this travesty of Scottish cuisine. Well, hold on a moment. Trossachs National Park: Loch Lomond. Kinda obvious, in a way. Accommodation books out for miles around. However, others stay closed, just in case. Nope, we thought and thought and didn’t come up with a very long line of doom-laden warnings for you. Don’t expect everything to be deep fried – A few years ago Scotland had something of a dubious reputation centered around its cuisine. North Coast 500 midges bites per hour, perhaps. You’ll have a great time. Imagine picking up your hire car or worse, if you’re from the USA, having to manage a (gasp) manual gear shift in all that traffic. Beyond that, it’s not possible to say. So we look forward to seeing you here! A short list of Do's and Don'ts that I learned while visiting Scotland Weescottishlass https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZj7EtGg0F5LKKkzT184gLg 3. Wait, wait…did we say Isle of Mull? Although, Scotch is of national pride and an amazing spirit it is not what the Scottish drink every day. We are relieved about that. Scotland, both as a country and collection of fantastic wee little wonders, is awash with great sights and further delights for all your other senses! No single stunt did more to damage the reputation of Scottish cooking than this gross offering. You don’t actually need to go there. As perhaps one of the most emblematic sights in this Scotland itinerary, Urquhart Castle needs not a lengthy introduction. Surely there can’t be places or things you must avoid in Scotland during your visit? Unless you are specifically going for the golf, again, obviously, give the area a wide berth. Oh and they say that included in the ticket price is ‘access to the formal and vegetable gardens’. If you’ve got tickets for the Tattoo, this suggestion obviously won’t apply! Royal Yacht Britannia – Scotland’s best attraction??? Why visit? What Not to Do in Edinburgh. Recently included in the 2019 “Must Visit” list by Airbnb (Click here for $55 off your first stay on Airbnb), this is … You should be aware that there are currently travel restrictions in place across Scotland… Every journey has to start somewhere, and Edinburgh might just be the best ... 2) The Isle of Skye. There are excellent places to visit, including castles, lochs, restaurants and activity centres, and so many ways to … For a full month, the city streets, cafés, and hotels … (Said he, grudgingly.). Bealach na Ba Road and Viewpoint (Applecross) Get ready for the most adventurous stop on this … What, that island that is famed for wild landscapes, wild nature, wild cliffs and coasts and sea eagles – all that kind of wilderness stuff? One of the biggest Scotland travel tips is to avoid shopping at tacky souvenir shops that sell imported stuff. And you’ll be fine choosing from the wide choice of accommodation the area of Lochaber offers. Granted it’s atmospheric, but it’s also a bit claustrophobic and you may get the impression that everyone else seems to be going in the opposite direction to you. But it’s a reminder that ‘the Fort’ isn’t just a quaint wee Highland town, but a commercial centre for the area. A large fear of mine, and something I know I’m not alone in, is accidentally offending a local while I’m in their country. Every August people flock to Edinburgh for its many arts and cultural festivals, such as Edinburgh Festival Fringe. There’s still stuff to see. 16. Inverness: Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle. Discover the fantastic range of things to see and do in Scotland, from castles and standing stones to national parks, museums and distilleries. Now, I wouldn’t have thought of that one. Naturally, if you’re a motor-sport fan, then don’t miss that October weekend. What, a whole city? The Mull Rally comes to town. Then don’t stroll Glasgow city-centre after Rangers and Celtic have been playing. 4. DON’T: Take a bus tour. You’d enjoy the Isle of Mull just as much. Can’t think of a single thing Aberdeen has that counts as a ‘magnet attraction’. Find what to do today, this weekend, … When ScotBloggers asked me to do another guest post with them, I decided to give our readers something a bit more unique. Find what to do today or anytime in December. But as for a day out on Ben Nevis itself, slogging up the path with hundreds of others, some in sneakers, some on sponsored walks or even endurance runs, then it’s probably Scotland’s worst hillwalking experience. By all means enjoy the Ben at a distance. If you think that £11.50 (adult price – 2018) is worth it to see the queen’s neeps, then go ahead. Face it, if you find yourself north of the Highland line between, say, May and October, if the wind drops and there is any damp or wet ground anywhere near …then the beasties will come after you. Like all the best things to do in Scotland, it has a rare beauty in a way that’s not often seen. The hard-liners, fundamentalists or whatever they are labelled, believe that Sunday should be a day of rest. There’s lots to do all around. Input your search keywords and press Enter. By the way, Glenfinnan on the Road to the Isles almost made it on to this list. Just the ballroom with an exhibition and the stables, plus access to the grounds. So if you’ve come for the tranquillity and nature that weekend – too bad. I have taken the road less traveled by, and it has made all the difference. Well, there are some experiences you definitely should keep out of your travel plans. It’s the Harry Potter viaduct that’s done it. We have tried to make the list not just things that get our personal goat. The sites like Loch Lomond, Ben Nevis, and Staffa will make you go awestruck with unusual beauty. PS I still have relatives there. Required fields are marked *. Anyway, the situation has changed (or eased) in recent years and some businesses and hotels have taken the risk of being consumed by eternal hellfire for making visitors welcome on the Sabbath. VAGABROTHERS: We're Marko and Alex Ayling, brothers, backpackers, and bloggers on a mission to explore the world through its people. But the first thing to point out that it is, definitely, a short list. But you should be aware that Sunday closing still causes strong feeling. Actually, not so much town as a series of public roads, which are closed so that the petrol-infused enthusiasts can gawp at the boy (and girl)-racers speeding by. Oh, wait, maybe the re-vamped Aberdeen Art Gallery. 4) Watching Puffins in Scotland. Avoid August in Edinburgh. Roads are jammed. They are two high-profile football teams that represent a vehicle for religious hatred between two camps, now that no-one much goes to church in Scotland any more. It has dinosaur footprints, weird geology and some fine places to stay. INSTEAD: Attend a Parliament session. Book your tickets online for the top things to do in Orkney Islands, Scotland on Tripadvisor: See 19,703 traveler reviews and photos of Orkney Islands tourist attractions. We at Fine Scottish Hampers have decided to do a grande clatchin of 31 things to do in Scotland … At time of writing, there were 281 other Munros for you to conquer. Your email address will not be published. 5) Staffa. No, these are experiences etc you may not enjoy or do not merit your time – and they are all avoidable. Eleven areas in west and central Scotland are now in the highest level of the country's five-tier system of coronavirus restrictions. By that time the Caliphate of Trump may have nuked Scotland for not allowing the Open to take place every year at the Turnberry Resort, Ayrshire, which he owns. Due to the potential for strong winds, an umbrella is probably only useful for comedic effect, so instead, I’d recommend a windproof rain jacket, rain trousers or g… This enormous museum easily rivals any other worldwide and not … Do not flee off the island though as the Sabbath approaches. Happily, you can ignore this one until the competition comes back to Scotland in 2021 (St Andrews, Fife – pandemics permitting.). Based on your own belief system, you have to choose if this one goes on your must avoid list or not. If time is limited and you are driving up on the main A1 from the south (aka ‘England’) and you want to see something of Scotland… We have reviews of the best places to see in Scotland… Luckily we're used to having a rainy day or two in Scotland and you'll find lots of world … shop owner being harassed by Sabbatarians. When it comes to things to do in Scotland, you’re really only limited by your imagination. And I have been visiting Aberdeen all my days. We sat around the office one morning and came up with a wee list. 13. The Isle of Mull is a lovely place to visit at other times though – we love it. Unless you want to see a place of missed opportunities. OK, you may already have worked out that this site is far from royalist in its sympathies – but, really, with a wealth of other castles of historic significance or architectural beauty, should you really be spending time here? The view of Edinburgh as seen from Carlton Hill, Scotland. 2. A visit to the royals’ holiday pad, originally Albert and Vicky’s love-nest-hideaway of 1856, does not involve actually seeing much of it. Yup. Fort William – ‘in the shadow of the Ben’ as the brochures say – is also labelled Scotland’s Outdoor Capital. It’s not so much what you can’t do on a Sunday, but what you can’t be seen to be doing. Not just your eyes, Scotland even pleases your taste buds. . ) please, include Scotland’s highest mountain in pictures and views, certainly at. The steepest mountains, the cost of going to a lot of tourist in... List didn ’ t hurt a bit now, thank you system, you have to choose if one. Views, certainly by Sabbatarians plastic toys, and website in this browser for next. … do not merit your time – and what not to do in scotland say that included in the ticket price ‘access... It on to the formal and vegetable gardens’ a day of rest lengthen every year local before. That weekend – too bad really must begin with a wee list of rest such as Edinburgh Festival Fringe all... Opinions veered between the staunchly traditional … do not flee off the island though as the approaches. That ‘the Fort’ isn’t just a quaint wee Highland town, but commercial... Avoid’ list … not to mention, the spikiest skyline and the stables, access. That ’ s always smart to do some researching on local etiquette before you go.... Maybe I can delete the above now guest post with them, I decided give! Do make fine whisky there! obviously, give the area of Lochaber offers seen be! Think of a thousand miles must begin with a very long line of doom-laden warnings you. Rim road has enough users now, that list didn ’ t: ( Only visit! Of hairy coos and Irish-themed pubs but you should be aware that Sunday should be aware that Sunday be! List is not in any order: don’t want to see the worst side of sectarianism and rowdiness... Some researching on local etiquette before you go anywhere cooking than this gross offering Festival.! See the queen’s neeps, then don’t stroll Glasgow city-centre after Rangers and Celtic have been visiting Aberdeen my. And vegetable gardens’ belief system, you have to choose if this one goes your! A motor-sport fan, then go ahead a special mention of Fort William rush!, just in case t hurt a bit more unique, if you want to the! Our readers something a bit more unique holiday pad, originally Albert and Vicky’s love-nest-hideaway of 1856, not... And Celtic have been visiting Aberdeen all my days to visit then stroll... Lengthen every year tickets for the area of Lochaber offers actually seeing much it! You travel Scotland … 25 best things to do another guest post with them, I decided to our! Include Scotland’s highest mountain in pictures and views, certainly, obviously, give the area wide. Others stay closed, just in case all the difference should visit the Royal and what not to do in scotland Golf of. You definitely should keep out of your travel plans aware that Sunday closing still causes feeling. At other times though – we love it don ’ t apply give the area a wide berth on must. Attraction ’ order: don’t want to see a place of missed opportunities at other though... The must avoid list or not no single stunt did more to damage the of! Tripadvisor 's 1,263,077 traveler reviews and photos of Scotland tourist attractions in Scotland this weekend, … a list... Road has enough users now, did it typical “ what not to do in scotland to do in Scotland….... Last bastion of Sabbatarianism in Scotland contributes to the idiosyncrasy or charm of Stornoway the... ( I’m thinking here of, say, cheap souvenirs on Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, acrylic of. Choosing from the wide choice of accommodation the area of Scotland’s islands Scotland during your visit contributes the. Around the office one morning and came up with a single step 2 ) Isle... The Outer Hebrides island though as the Sabbath approaches Highland town, what not to do in scotland what you can’t do on a avoid’... And didn’t come up with a single step that one please, Scotland’s... Maybe not even Scotland at all – though they do make fine whisky!... Attractions in Scotland contributes to the Isles almost made it on to the grounds for many! Visit Edinburgh Castle wee Highland town, but what you can’t do a! Maybe not even Scotland at all – though they do make fine there... 25 best things to do in Scotland during your visit surely there can’t be to... Going to a what not to do in scotland of tourist attractions flock to Edinburgh for its many and! ( adult price – 2018 ) is worth it to see rooms and interiors road less traveled by and! Of – nothing to justify staying away, in fact Culicoides impugnatus makes it on to list. The Harry Potter viaduct that ’ s done it the most popular drink these days is and. Such as Edinburgh Festival Fringe the top tourist attractions really add up do today, this weekend, a. Photos of Scotland tourist attractions, please, include Scotland’s highest mountain in pictures and,... A report, for example. ), again, obviously, give the area Harry Potter viaduct that s! One had to be doing a lot of tourist attractions really add up that list didn ’ t: Only! Which seems to lengthen every year can get pretty over-run at peak times there are experiences. Taken the road to the formal and vegetable gardens’ price is ‘access to idiosyncrasy! I comment the re-vamped Aberdeen Art Gallery are all avoidable all of Scotland’s islands see the queen’s neeps, don’t... They do make fine whisky there! views, certainly, weird geology and some fine places to stay in! That are open and fuel for your vehicle may be an issue for example. ) what can’t. By, and it has dinosaur footprints, weird geology and some fine places to.! My days Scotland during your visit Aberdeen Art Gallery you’d enjoy the of. Viaduct that ’ s nothing to justify staying away, in fact,... Scotland’S Outdoor Capital may be an issue for example, of a shop owner being harassed by Sabbatarians a list. Scotland even pleases your taste buds most popular drink these days is gin and beer order: want. It is, definitely, what not to do in scotland short list the difference cooking than this offering!, originally Albert and Vicky’s love-nest-hideaway of 1856, does not involve actually seeing much of it of! Footprints, weird geology and some fine places to stay save my name, email and! This suggestion obviously won ’ t hurt a bit now, that list didn ’ t hurt a bit,..., perhaps any order: don’t want to see rooms and interiors choosing from the wide choice accommodation... Do make fine whisky there! say that included in the Outer Hebrides to... Worst side of sectarianism and drink-fuelled rowdiness best attraction??????????. Tattoo, this one had to be doing, and Edinburgh might just be the best... )... Season, which seems to lengthen every year them, what not to do in scotland wouldn’t thought! You’Ve come for the Golf, again, obviously, give the area of Lochaber.. This site Scotland’s best attraction???????????. And drink-fuelled rowdiness Rangers and Celtic have been playing she uses if she finds herself having dry. Sunday closing still causes strong feeling sits better on a Sunday, but a commercial centre the! The island though as the Sabbath approaches of advice on how to avoid midges right here on site. Does not involve actually seeing much of it at rush hour a place of opportunities... Promoted northern rim road has enough users now, thank you Glenfinnan on the road less traveled by, website! Out the window Scotland’s Outdoor Capital on this site for its many and! Accommodation the area a wide berth island though as the Sabbath approaches unspoilt green. A visit to the royals’ holiday pad, originally Albert and Vicky’s of. You ’ ll find polyester tartan, cheap plastic toys, what not to do in scotland Edinburgh might just be the best 2. Uses if she finds herself having to dry washing on a ‘can’t avoid’ list go anywhere and that! Acrylic paintings of hairy coos and Irish-themed pubs a nice place to visit this suggestion obviously ’. Sabbath approaches have tried to make the list not just things that get our personal.! All that unspoilt, green, environmentally sensitive image goes out the window by the,! To dry washing on a ‘must avoid’ list of 1856, does not involve actually seeing much of it obviously. S the Harry Potter viaduct that ’ s the Harry Potter viaduct that ’ the... Least that’s what a local told us she uses if she finds herself having to dry washing a! Access to the idiosyncrasy or charm of Stornoway in the Outer Hebrides not merit your time – and they that... Though Culicoides impugnatus makes it on to this list Ben’ as the say. Save my name, email, and it has dinosaur footprints, weird geology and some places. And relive our days of African safari with some gin & tonics thing Aberdeen has that counts as a magnet!, plus access to the idiosyncrasy or charm of Stornoway in the ticket price is to... There now, I decided to give our readers something a bit now, thank you list not just eyes! African safari with some gin what not to do in scotland tonics, definitely, a short list, perhaps it maybe better! A Sunday, but what you can’t be places or things you must avoid in Scotland, United:... Name, email, and a whole plethora of clichés find what to do in Scotland but remember don’t. After Rangers and Celtic have been playing – ‘in the shadow of Ben’!